Radio Daze

Vintage Tube era Radio Discussion including Hybrid Radios
United States of America KD8DEY
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Radio Daze

Post by KD8DEY »

I still have the NCX-3, I havent given up on fixing the shipping damage...I know I have been a bit slow on it.
Well, Got the tubes in place. Having trouble with the parasitic supressors. The schematic said 22 Ohm 2 watt resistors.

Found somebody on "E-Pay" that was selling them (Allen Bradley Mfg). Bought 4 so I would have a few extras...
They didn't fit the mounting holes off the plate choke..

Broke down and ordered them in 1 watt and Half watt the other day....
Since it didn't have the correct type of tubes, the Parasitic chokes were modified with bigger plate caps.
I Really need to find somebody with an unmodified NCX-3 that can tell me the proper number of turns for the
supressors. (A picture would be Great)

I was having trouble seeing and attaching plate caps to the 2 watt resistors, so KP4SX donated a pair of the spring type plate connectors.
all I need to do is clean them up a bit.....

Havn't tried hooking it up since I don't have an antenna up. and been worrying about damaging it if there is an internal tube short
thanks to the rough handling by OOPS..

Scored a Tube tester. just got it the other day.
I'll be darned if one of the knobs was just laying there under the bubble wrap. To add insult to injury it goes on a 12 position switch with no way to "Index" it for the right setting. (Mercury 1101 switch Z)
Maybe I can use an 0A2 to try to figure out the switch position? Or will I risk damaging the tube and tester?

I swear I have the luck of the Irish.
Is it just me, or does "Googling Yourself" just not sound right?..

Return to “Boatanchors and Classic Equipment”