It's a sad day

Ham Radio General Discussion
United States of America KD8DEY
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

It's a sad day

Post by KD8DEY »

That I've come to realize that I cannot see the fine detail well enough now to make a clean cut on something as simple as a piece of coax.
I had to break down, and order a coax stripper on E-Bay.....

Been slowly getting some stuff together. Got an Arrow J-Pole sitting new in the box in the trailblazer.
I miss the Cavalier, but it was time for it to RIP. Paying on another vehicle made it really tight for a while, so Radio endeavors were put on hold till it got paid off a couple months ago....

I'm sure everybody remembers me posting about the clamp PL-259 connectors. I've got some heavy coax that was donated to me by one of the Zedders that were trying to help get me back on the air. (Yes I still have everything, including the NCX-3 that arrived busted, even though my Anonymous E-Mailer Fan tried to say that there was discussion OTA that I supposedly played everybody for a sucker).

Thats one of the reasons it has taken me so long, Instead of "Begging" and being accused of nefarious bullshit. I've been slowly trying to do it on my own. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the help I was given, but it was offered, and accepted, not begged for.

I already posted pictures of the mast I put up for HF, 7 sections of 5' pole at almost $20 a pop. add it up, it aint cheap when you survive on disability. I have the Balun, and still need to get some wire and lighter coax so I dont put too much load on the mast. Mowing season is almost over, so It's almost time to get that together. Probably have to take it down when mowing season comes back around.

When I tried to trim the heavy coax I was going to use on the J-Pole, things got "sticky", Literally. I dunno what they are doing to coax now, but way back then, your hands didnt get sticky from the inside of the coax when you try to strip it... probably gonna have to invest in a can of brake cleaner to get the goo out of the braid so I know it gets a good contact with the PL-259 clamp connectors. (Leaves no residue)....

I was going to put up a G5RV that was "donated to the cause" but I couldnt get the mast up high enough to clear all the twin lead, So, it is still sitting in my box of "Toys". either I will get to use it later on (If I move), or perhaps gift it forward to somebody that can really use it.......

Had to order a couple U-Bolts from E-Bay to help mount the J-Pole to the trailer arm. They didn't have the size or length i needed at Lowes. Hopefully my solution works. had to get a drill, and bits from Harbor Freight, Along with some threaded rod, and nuts / washers from the auto parts store. Find a suitable board to make a "mounting plate" to the trailer tang (A-Arm), then use the extra length u-bolts to mount yet another pair of mast poles to the "Plate".....Since the landlord doesnt want any new holes, and the utility company will not allow "Attachments", It's been a challenge trying to keep everybody happy.

(I havent discussed mounting a 2nd antenna to the trailer, Fingers crossed...). The only reason I got away with the mast so far is that I was able to use existing holes with longer screws. At first I thought I was going to have problems with the landlord, even though she said I could put up an antenna before I agreed to rent one of the trailers. I don't think she realized what was going to be involved... We are both on Facebook, and when I posted a Help wanted, she saw it an came on and posted that nothing was to be attached to the trailer, right on my help wanted post.. Too Late, the mast was already up....

She settled down after I told her that no new holes had been made as per her rules, and showed her an E-Mail from the VP of the Electric Co-Op stating that nothing could ne attached to the poles
(like she wanted, She is under the mistaken impression that she owned the poles. the letter set her straight on that issue, when I mentioned that with one call, the electric company would be there to take down every satellite and TV antenna from the poles) , and reminding her that she said I could put an antenna up, and was trying to satisfy everybody's restrictions.....

So far I have been having fun on 2m using a pizza pan along with a comet dual band antenna, BUT it's so close to the window that I am getting a buzz in my TX, and I have to turn off the computer speakers because of feedback...

I have even been trying to pick up 2m ft-8, and have received Croatia, and a couple other countries on the mobile antenna, So I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with the Arrow J-Pole..

there is no window except the storm window in the frame where I will have to make some sort of feed through, So I still have to figure out how I can secure the storm window to keep somebody from breaking in.... I also got one of those fake stone wall planters to put underneath the window to pretty things up, and hide a ground rod..(That reminds me, grab ground rod @Lowes)....
it never ends....
Spoiler
Things are looking up...
Wonder If I'll be ready in time for the "Turkey Day Net"
wouldn't that be a hoot.
Probably not welcome since my Bannation...

I would have thought that more of the people I thought of as "Friends" would have joined up here by now, even if it was just to say "Hello, How Ya doin??"
Guess not.....

Ymmv
Is it just me, or does "Googling Yourself" just not sound right?..
United States of America WZ7U
Reactions:

Re: It's a sad day

Post by WZ7U »

Damn Bubba, helluva story. Shows how people can just plain suck. Living in the state of KY must be a slippery proposition.

There's no reason you cant be part of the TDN. Being zed banned doesn't make any operations on the air off limits to you. And should any of the usual suspects bust your balls, remind them they don't make the rules. Being a dick makes their interpretations suspect too. After all, it's the internet; why get too wrapped around the axles right?

You'll get there when you can. I understand the frustrations. Boy, that direct bury coax is a surprise is it not? I bet you can get away with a friction connection on the braid and be ok, at least your coax won't wick water if you get it wrong. :Grin:

Hang tough man, it gets better. Not necessarily on this side of the veil.
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
Reactions:

Post by WZ7U »

Dave says you're not banned, no record of being banned. Have at it over yonder Bubba!

Oh, yer welcome.
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
United States of America KD8DEY
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by KD8DEY »

WZ7U wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:56 pm Dave says you're not banned, no record of being banned. Have at it over yonder Bubba!

Oh, yer welcome.
I was under the impression that I was without explanation, after I logged in, and had insufficient privilege's to post anything anywhere....
Shadow banned??
Maybe it was lifted?, only temporary??!!
WTF?

Since Dave had registered on here, I sent him an E-Mail a while back asking about the Ban, But he never logged back on here . it's still sitting in my out box.
Is it just me, or does "Googling Yourself" just not sound right?..
Reactions:

Post by WZ7U »

Follow up son. Gotta follow up with people, cuz if they're like me, we forget everything all the time. Go try.
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Hamtalk”