National NC-88

Vintage Tube era Radio Discussion including Hybrid Radios
United States of America W9FTV
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

National NC-88

Post by W9FTV »

I've got my Grandfather's (The original W9FTV) National NC-88 receiver that I'd love to refurbish. Any recommendations?
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
Endeavor to persevere -- Chief Dan George
United States of America KD8DEY
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: National NC-88

Post by KD8DEY »

I always had the best luck with NOS RCA or Sylvania tubes over others such as Westinghouse etc,..

But if you cant find a tube you need in one of those....
Is it just me, or does "Googling Yourself" just not sound right?..
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

Bubbathegimp wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:38 pm I always had the best luck with NOS RCA or Sylvania tubes over others such as Westinghouse etc,..

But if you cant find a tube you need in one of those....
I'm willing to learn, any takers? I can say the shaft on one of the variable caps is bent and in need of replacing. I'm pretty sure the caps are shot. No idea about the tubes yet, but I'm assuming they're toast as well.
Anyone want to elmer a noob in a refurbishment?
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
w5wn
Curious
Curious
Reactions:

Post by w5wn »

The NC-88 was my first receiver as a Novice back in 1962. As I recall it was pretty insensitive on bands higher than 20 meters. I never had any problems with mine so I never had to work on it. If it turns on and doesn't hum it probably doesn't need to be recapped. If you have reasonable sensitivity up to 20 meters it probably doesn't need realignment. I'd just add a receive preamp if you want to use it on the higher bands.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

I haven't fired it up in years. But I think I'll take it outside and try it this weekend :)
I do need to find a replacement for the bandspread variable cap and restring the beastie. The old cotton(?) string dissolved. I'll have to open it up and see what other work needs to be done. Cosmetically it's in excellent condition.
United States of America KD8DEY
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by KD8DEY »

What you need is a good parts radio.
heres one on E-Pay.. Only 11 bux so far
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372457082301?ul_noapp=true
(It's the shipping that you have to worry about)
I wonder if he will allow local pickup.... :Bouaaaaah:
Is it just me, or does "Googling Yourself" just not sound right?..
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

Shame the seller's in California, a couple hundred miles to pick up an $11 radio is about my limit.
Juan Largo
Test Dummy
Test Dummy
Reactions:

Post by Juan Largo »

W9FTV wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:35 pm I've got my Grandfather's (The original W9FTV) National NC-88 receiver that I'd love to refurbish. Any recommendations?
Have a look at this link. http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=167874

There are lots of people on antique radio who can answer questions and offer help. Also try Hayseed Hamfest here. https://hayseedhamfest.com/collections/ ... re-cap-kit

They are a great company, I have used them several times and I highly recommend them. If you need resistors, http://www.surplussales.com/Resistors/C ... Comp_3.htm Another really good company to deal with.

I never used an NC-88 but I did operate an NC-98 (same receiver just has an S meter) that belonged to a friend in high school. It was pretty decent and he made a lot of contacts on 40 CW with that receiver. Just roll up your sleeves and replace all of the paper caps.

Don't replace any of the Mica caps or any capacitor that has NPO or N750 on it unless you have an exact replacement. Put a 3 wire line cord on it and you will have a very nice old SW radio to fiddle around with, and look cool on a shelf or desk.

Hope that is some help..:Twocents:
Don’t Dream It. Drive It.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

Thanks, Juan! I think it will be very helpful if I can dredge up any of my training from ET/TT school 30+ years ago. :Grin: This would be a good winter project.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Boatanchors and Classic Equipment”