Who is scanning and what do you receive in your locality?

Information is the key, How will YOU stay infoned?
United States of America WZ7U
Reactions:

Who is scanning and what do you receive in your locality?

Post by WZ7U »

I have a Pro 51 that gets all the primary duties, listening mainly to the analog L.E. and Fire dispatch. There are some nautical things to tune in but its really pretty quiet on the banks of the Columbia River. Aeronautical stuff is pretty scarce here, but when we lived in Portland near PDX it was full of traffic, inbounds and outbounds mainly with the occasional ANG flight saying hi to the tower.

Not much six or two meter traffic out here on FM repeaters to bother tuning in for. Other than that, I haven't tried to find much else out here in the woods as it were. The bigger cities around here have all gone to digital trunking for which I'm not equipped. Which doen't matter to me since I'm too far out for their traffic anyway. I have a couple other scanners too, but I would have to dig them out to find out the model numbers. I still remember the days of crystal controlled receivers, and having to figure out what pair you needed then IIRC $5 each just for one channel. Boy, those were the days!

So, what'cha all doin out there for scanning da man and whoever else you have your ears onto? There's my :Twocents:
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
United States of America K9ase
Test Dummy
Test Dummy
Reactions:

Re: Who is scanning and what do you receive in your locality?

Post by K9ase »

The last scanner I had was a Bearcat BCT-436hp It covered everything.
I still have a PSR-10 but it's out of date because my area has gone digital
"Life is hard;It's harder when you're stupid"
W1TRY
Curious
Curious
Reactions:

Post by W1TRY »

I have an old Uniden Bearcat in the kitchen and an old RS in the garage, both analog. I here my town PD and FD and the neighboring town a couple of miles away. Sometimes, I'll go for at least an hour before I hear anything and then it's only "287 on arrival" because it was dispatched via terminal. I listen only because I was a Firefighter and EMT for many years and I like to know why there are sirens up here in the Boondocks.
For what it's worth, I have the garage scanner on a timer so it comes on at 7am and off at 9pm.
Get off my lawn!
United States of America WZ7U
Reactions:

Post by WZ7U »

Apparently STEM isn't a prerequisite to be law enforcement around here. I'm following a call on the scanner where a cop sees a liquid oxygen tanker venting as they normally do. They claim a hazmat situation, close the state highway, call out a full contingent of hazmat responders and create all sorts of commotion - over normal venting of gas. Driver keeps telling them its normal but cops aren't having it. Bunch of luddite idiots "running" things around here. It scares me to think that this bunch of ill informed power trippers are who will respond to a real emergency - and won't know what to do. Its a crazy world when oxygen is a hazardous material. :Dontknow:

Finally, someone realizes its a normal process, but the state police en route are like "NO NO, KEEP EVERYBODY BACK!! I'M STILL IN ROUTE". Embarrassing. The police think they know better than the hazmat people on scene. WTF? :Banghead:
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Scanner Enthusiasts”