Which type of ham antennas are you currently using and/or planning on putting up?

Forums discussing Antennas And Towers, Including Homebrew Antennas
United States of America K9ase
Test Dummy
Test Dummy
Reactions:

Re: Which type of ham antennas are you currently using and/or planning on putting up?

Post by K9ase »

I'm currently using a 6BTV but I also have a G5RVjr that's fairly useless because of its height.
Next season I'm hoping to but uo some sort of hexbeam on a push up mast.
"Life is hard;It's harder when you're stupid"
United States of America W9FTV
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: Which type of ham antennas are you currently using and/or planning on putting up?

Post by W9FTV »

When it warms up, I'll be rehanging the 80-10m fan dipole. The 80m legs are too durned long for my yard, so I'm thinking of cutting them down for 6m.

How tough would it be to use it for a homebrew hexbeam?
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
Endeavor to persevere -- Chief Dan George
United States of America WZ7U
Reactions:

Post by WZ7U »

You can bend those ends of the 80m antenna around to fit your yard without harming the performance enough to worry about.
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

WZ7U wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:42 pm You can bend those ends of the 80m antenna around to fit your yard without harming the performance enough to worry about.
I've got a few months to figure it out. I'll probably just end up stringing it up and calling it a day.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
United States of America WZ7U
Reactions:

Post by WZ7U »

As long as no one can touch the end of it when energized, just get it up there. It will still work just fine, the current is concentrated in the middle of a balanced dipole.
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

WZ7U wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:19 am As long as no one can touch the end of it when energized, just get it up there. It will still work just fine, the current is concentrated in the middle of a balanced dipole.
There are a couple of kids in the neighborhood who've already screwed with one of my antennas (bad juju signs abound) that could do with a major asswhuppin... Barefoot ain't doin' it. I need an amp. :Grin:
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

It's almost time to clean off the fan dipole and rehang it. Just in time for the official opening of thunderstorm season. I really need to drive those ground rods and make things a little more permanent. :)
United States of America KD8DEY
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by KD8DEY »

I've got an Arrow dual Band J-Pole up. Ned to do a little work to make it a "Permanent installation.
I can reach 27 Repeaters, But I'm not totally thrilled with the match... (But that could be partially due to it's proximity to the trailer)..

Getting a little over 200 miles using FT-8. sunno what would be considered "Typical" for this type of setup...
Is it just me, or does "Googling Yourself" just not sound right?..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Antennas and Tower Talk”